The Evangelical Free Church of Australia was incorporated in 1987 by several families who migrated from Hong Kong and settled in Sydney during the late 1980s.
The first Sunday Service was held at Chatswood Church of Christ on 11th October, 1987. The sermon was delivered by Reverend Fred Cheung followed by benediction from Peter Dixon.
Some highlights of EFCA:
- Jul, 1988 – Reverend Joshua Mak appointed as Senior Pastor
- Oct, 1991 – Additional Cantonese service at 8:30am
- Sep, 1993 – Sister church established in Sydney’s north west, and this later formed the Livingstone Evangelical Free Church of Australia
- Jan, 1995 – Purchase of church property at East Lindfield
- Oct, 1995 – Establishment of the English Ministry and English service at 10:30am
- Oct, 1996 – Additional Cantonese service at 10:30am
- Sep, 1998 – Change of Chinese name to better reflect its expanding mission
- Aug, 1999 – Sister church established in Sydney’s east, and this later formed the Praise Evangelical Free Church of Australia
- Sep, 2001 – Establishment of the Mandarin Ministry and Mandarin service at 9:00am
- Jul, 2005 – 8:30am and 10:30am Cantonese services combined, with venue relocated to Zenith Theatre at 9:00am
- Aug, 2006 – SWITCH Youth ministry commenced
- Nov, 2008 – Reverend Sam Lui joined EFCA as Senior Pastor
- May, 2009 – Establishment of third Cantonese service at 11:15am at Zenith Theatre